Position: Grants Co-ordinator
Duration: 6 months, possibility of extension
Hours: Full time. 40 hours per week (Monday to Friday), however flexibility is required.
Salary: £20,000-24,000 per annum, depending on experience
Islamic Help is a UK-based international relief and development organisation that has developed rapidly since being established in 2003. Our programmes aim to help and empower disadvantaged communities in the UK and abroad; some of the key areas we work in are emergency response, WASH, education, livelihood and environmental conservation.
We have created the new role of Grants Co-ordinator to support the Head of Institutional Funding and Partnerships in identifying and developing new relationships with prospective funders, helping us to achieve our targets, and providing brilliant stewardship to all of our current funders. The postholder will report to the Head of Institutional Funding and Partnerships Department.
We are looking for someone ambitious, who enjoys building relationships, has excellent writing skills, and loves working as part of a busy team.
You will bring your enthusiasm and creativity to help us:
• Grow our grant income to support our range of exciting new projects,
• Develop new ways to articulate our ‘case for support’ to funders, as well as to show them the impact of their support on the lives of communities we serve,
• Support the wider Islamic Help team to understand and engage with fundraising, embedding it in the culture of the organisation.
We have a Birmingham office and a London office. Our Head of Institutional Funding and Partnerships is based in Birmingham, and the role of Grants Co-ordinator could be based in either office. If London-based, regular travel to Birmingham would be expected.
Researching funding opportunities
• Maintain a thorough understanding of the profile of current funders and Islamic Help’s relationship with them, including the need for reports and updates.
• Increase the prospect base and pipeline by identifying potential new funders, developing an understanding of their profiles and how and why they might support Islamic Help.
• Grow the support of current funders, identifying opportunities for them to continue their support.
• Prepare a database of relevant funding streams.
• Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the organisation and its work.
• Work closely with the Head of IF&P department to identify and pursue fundraising opportunities.
• Assist, when required, the Head of IF&P in the development and co-ordination of high quality proposals and concept papers for submission to donors.
• Build strong and effective relationships with Islamic Help teams in the UK and overseas.
• Support the Head of IF&P in the on-going development of the department's fundraising strategy.
• Support the Head of IF&P in preparing, reviewing and documenting memoranda of understanding, agreements, agreement modifications according to the needs of Islamic Help.
• Support the Head of IF&P to develop, finalise and monitor partner sub awards.
• Support the preparation and follow-up of grants opening meetings, monthly review meetings, and grant closing meetings.
• Support the organisation and submission of communications deliverables.
• Be self-administering including maintaining fundraising pipeline spreadsheets and monitoring progress against activities.
• Maintain accurate fundraising files and records.
• Liaise with finance team to ensure grants have been received and are allocated/restricted as appropriate.
• Support the Grants Manager and/or program staff in other key grants management, programme development, monitoring and evaluation, and external relations activities as requested.
Compliance and reporting
• Support donor reporting processes, co-ordinating with the field staff to ensure the timely submission of high quality programmatic reports and coordinate with Finance to ensure timely submission of financial reports.
• Ensure quality information management through regular maintenance of grant files, reporting calendars, timely submission and updating of internal documentation and other grants tools.
• Support compliance of programmes with donor and Islamic Help requirements and raise issues affecting external/internal compliance to management staff.
Grant and funder relationships
• Develop and strengthen relationships with current funders, and identify and cultivate relationships with potential new funders through a range of communications including by phone, in writing and face to face meetings as appropriate.
• Manage existing relationships through professional account management and communicating the impact of our work to funders in a compelling way.
• Maintain accurate funder records in order to monitor, evaluate and report on fundraising activity.
Educated to degree level or equivalent.
• Familiarity with humanitarian programming;
• Strong research skills. Ability to identify trusts / foundations / statutory funders and match their interests closely with Islamic Help’s aims.
• Prior experience working in non-profits/charities and familiarity with donor requirements;
• Excellent writing skills in English
• Excellent interpersonal skills. Able to communicate with a wide range of people in person, by phone and email.
• Excellent organisational skills and ability to meet multiple deadlines in a busy office environment;
• Detail-oriented with good multi-tasking abilities and communication skills, both oral and written;
• Able to work well both within a team and independently in a challenging and fast-moving multicultural environment;
• Sound IT skills in MS Office and experience of using databases
• Knowledge of Arabic language (speaking, reading, editing)
• Pursues tasks / goals with energy, drive and need for completion
• Pre-empts problems by seeking guidance or taking action an issue, task or project within their role
• Is customer focused
Innovation and Creativity
• Does not assume the usual way of doing something is the best way
• Volunteers ideas and suggestions for improvement
• Accepts mistakes and is willing to learn from them
• Plans and prioritises work effectively
• Is solution rather than problem focused
• Takes responsibility for own workload
Communication and relationship management
• Clearly identifies and articulates the key messages to be conveyed
• Understands the impact of their communication
• Takes time to build and maintain contacts and partners
Teamwork & collaboration
• Understands the benefits of teamwork and contributes willingly
• Listens to the views of others
• Understands the impact of their behaviour on others and adapts behaviour where appropriate
The job description is a general outline of the job duties and responsibilities and may be amended as the scope of IF&P department develops. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time. The post holder MUST have the right to work in the UK/EU.
HOW TO APPLY
It would be great if you have a qualification in a relevant discipline, but we're more interested in your experience, your values and your attitude than your qualifications.
It's a really exciting time to join Islamic Help. If you're successful in joining our team you'll not only have the opportunity to further your career, you'll be improving the lives of people through the work that you do.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV by email detailing how you meet the requirements for the post.
Deadline: The deadline for applications is 6pm, 16th July 2018. Interviews to be held end of July and job offer by mid-August 2018.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all applications regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, faith or disability.